Thursday 31 May 2012

Not Long Now

Yesterday was our last day of regular classes until June 11.  Our first week in Scotland is to be taken up with getting ourselves oriented and a few days of excursions.  Thursday, we’ll be heading out to Calton Hill, then Saturday to Culross, Scone, Loch Tay and Stirling.  I’m finding it very difficult to believe that I’ll be seeing all the places I’ve read about; the homeland of my family.  Of course, many of us can claim to have Scottish backgrounds, but it’s special, as I'm sure it is to everyone else.  The family history has always been of great fascination to me and it’s my grandmother I can thank for that, as she’s the one who piqued my interest in it.
The Clan MacGregor, with Philip who served with the British Army in 1776 and landed first in New York to fight in the American Revolution and then was deeded land in Ontario as one of the United Empire Loyalists.  The Mackie Clan is from Peterhead, Aberdeenshire.  It’s nothing less than amazing that I will be able to walk in the same places they did.  I can’t believe yet, that I’m actually going.
It’s a relief to have the mid-term in Geography over and done with.  When I was reviewing the material yesterday, I managed to draw a complete blank.  I couldn’t remember even going over the information and began to wonder if I was even in class when we took it.  As it turned out, the exam wasn’t as bad as I thought and I think it went fairly well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Let me know.