Thursday 24 May 2012

North Should be in a Different Place

Someone needs to take pity on me.  As if Tuesday’s foray into the world of rights and lefts wasn’t bad enough, yesterday was taken up with map reading and learning about co-ordinates.  As with the rocks episode, co-ordinates have a far different meaning for me – that’s when your top and bottom matches.  I was lost as soon as asked where “North” is.  Like I said, North is whatever direction I happen to be facing.  I know that South is the opposite direction to North, but I don’t find that particularly helpful, seeing as my North isn’t likely to be in the right place.  East and West are completely beyond me.  I could use the alphabet to keep them in the right order, but once again North is causing the problem.  If someone had put it in the right place, it would be E, N, S, W, but as it is, it’s in the wrong spot.
To top it off, I have to bring a calculator next week.  I’m ranging back into the math department.  It must be a phobia.  Ha!  I looked it up.  About.com says that there really is a math disability and it’s called “Dyscalculia”.  The other possibility is arithmophobia.  No wonder I’m sick of being a bean counter.  There’s a derogatory description for you.
I was further humiliated in Personal Narrative when, after work-shopping a piece, I had to ask what “Timeline” was, as pertains to Facebook.   Part of the story contained a segment about a Mom who was entirely excited about having Timeline on her Facebook, but had to come back and ask what it was.  Don’t feel bad, Mom, I had to ask too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Let me know.