Wednesday 6 June 2012

The Gang's All Here

It’s yesterday today.  The flight was long, but uneventful and we departed and landed on time.  After arriving at Pollock Hall in Edinburgh, we had a brief period to get settled, then it was off and running again.  The trick was going to be to last through the day and try to hold off sleeping until Edinburgh bedtime.  Scotland time is eight hours ahead of B.C.
City Skyline From National Museum Site
We had to go and pick up our phones at a place called Phones For U.  It was quite a walk to get there.  Afterwards, we meandered off again to the Grassmarket area near the Royal Mile and had dinner at the Beehive Pub.  The food was good and I had to try out a Guiness.  The foam on the top of it was so thick you could have used it for face cream.  Rather than the white foam of the beer in Canada, this was a tan/beige colour, so solid you couldn’t see any individual bubble.

Four of my other classmates and I then wandered around the Grassmarket area, found a bookstore to check out and then eventually made our way back to the residence.  By the time we got back, it was after nine and I was completely ready for my bed. 
Grassmarket
This morning I woke at 4:45 a.m. as usual, fixed a coffee and went outside to check out the weather and promptly got locked out.  Unsure as to whether the fob wasn’t working or we were on lockdown until a specific time, I ended up waiting outside for quite a while until I could get back into the lobby.  Still couldn’t get upstairs, though and ended up wandering back to the Reception Office to have the thing re-programmed.  Not the most auspicious start, but the sun is shining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Let me know.