Wednesday 27 June 2012

Aberdeen, Here I Come

I arrived safely in Aberdeen yesterday after only a minor to-do.  Seems that I managed to hop onto the wrong train at my change in Dundee.   It was still heading to Aberdeen, but instead of Scotrail, I ended up on some East something or another.  Even so, I’m not sure that I should have been on Scotrail; they use partner trains.  The conductor helped in this oops, as when I queried, he almost threw me and my baggage on the coach.
As I headed to Aberdeen, it gradually clued in that I might have made an oops and I began to worry about the ticket check.  The train peeps come through the coaches and request your tickets, or if you haven’t one, you can purchase from them.  Much as I told myself that the worst that could happen was that I would have to buy another ticket, I was managing to work myself into a tizz.
The moment came.  I heard the dreaded word; “Tickets, please.”    But then, he was gone as quickly as he came, almost running through the coach.  Perhaps he was giving advance warning and would start at the front of the train and work his way back.  I was in Coach B and there were few people on the train.  If he was coming back, it should be within the next ten minutes.
Fortunately for my nervous system, he never returned and I reached Aberdeen in a somewhat more settled state.  It was raining and very foggy – like that never happens here.  I checked into my hotel – what luxury compared to the Pollock Halls dorms.  A fridge, TV, a tub I could stretch out in and a much comfier bed.  I treated myself to a tub, then laid down for a nap and woke up at 8:00 p.m.  It had stopped raining, but I had no intention of heading out and about.  Tomorrow would do for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Let me know.