Wednesday 13 June 2012

Freedom!

Our guest speaker last night was truly wonderful.  Very much at home, extremely knowledgeable with that Scots outspokenness and the lines that sneak up on you and make you laugh.  Though I think we knocked him off stride there for a minute or two. 
Each of our classmates, or as many as possible, were given the flag of St. Andrew’s; the national flag of Scotland.  The plan was to wave the flags, all of us at the same time and shout “FREEDOM”.  The reason why is a tad bit of a long story, but I’ll condense as much as possible.
Before we left for Scotland, one of my instructors from last semester was good enough to come in as a guest lecturer.  You will have read about her in a previous post and she is the daughter of Dr. T. Cowan.  Anyway, while there, she spoke of her daughter, at four years old visiting her grandfather, waving a St. Andrew’s Flag and yelling “Freedom” in her biggest voice.  Apparently Grandpa enjoyed it very much.  
I and my classmates thought it would be a great idea to replicate that, as “Grandpa” was our guest speaker.  The rest of the plan was to get a shot of all of the students, flags up, surrounding Dr. Cowan and send it to his daughter, Karen.  It went off without a hitch; everyone was very enthusiastic.  Ted had a good belly laugh and then had to have a minute or two to recover. 
I’m so glad it went over well.  I know that Karen will very much enjoy the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Let me know.