Tuesday 3 July 2012

Not a Dolphin to be Seen

This will be a quick post today, as I’m off to the Orkneys, Kirkwall to be exact, and have to be leaving in a bit.  I did make the Dolphin and Seal Centre yesterday, though I do think I was led astray by one degree and another.  The Centre wasn’t quite what it was set out to be.  Shades of the Merkinch.  I think I’ll have to be passing by any more of these “reserves.”
I had to walk to the blasted place, somewhere in the range of three or four miles.  It ended up being that far, as I followed the A9 route, not knowing the shortcut.  You can imagine how long that took.  Once I arrived, I found that there are no trails or specific sighting spots and the “Centre” a wee building stuck in a corner of the Visitor Information Centre.  Well, now.
I did take the path down to the Village of North Kessock, which lies on the Beauly Firth, underneath the North Kessock Bridge.  On the other side of the bridge is the Moray Firth.  Anyway, I sat for a bit, pulled off a few shots, not of dolphins or seals, however.  Once semi-recovered, I started back over the bridge towards Inverness.  This time I had the shortcut, so was a much easier and quicker walk.
In the evening, meaning about 11:00 p.m., I set out again, wanting to get some night shots of the city.  Being so far north, it’s still relatively light even at that time of the night.  It’s a good thing I have nothing better to do than sit on a bus and ferry for five hours today.  I’m looking forward to the Orkneys.  While the cities are beautiful, I’ve had enough of them for a while and am needing some uncivilized landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Let me know.