Friday 13 July 2012

Home, But Still Moving On

T’is home, I am and glad to be here.  It was a phenomenal trip and one that I am glad I took, but it was time to be wrapping it up.  I missed all of my babies, two legged and four.  Now, the only trick is to get used to the time change and all things Canadian again.  It’s amazing how quickly one adopts the customs; habits, language usage and the way things are and work when overseas. 
If I had to sum up in a couple of words the effect and outcome this trip has had on me, I would have to say “success.”  This past semester has stretched my boundaries in so many ways.  Much of it was way out of my comfort zone and I am proud to be able to say that I believe I met those challenges and did well.  Personal narrative, poetry, blog writing, performing arts, playwriting, map reading, mineral identification and figuring out where north is – yes, I even managed to figure that out.  None of these things were in my repertoire previously, but it had gotten to the point where I’d hung my ass so far out on the branch, that I figured I might as well go all the way.  There was nothing to lose and everything to gain.  I’ve always been one to push the envelope, to one degree and another, but this whole plan of returning to school, going to Scotland and then travelling around the countryside on my own exceeded the limits all the way around.  It’s not the easiest thing for someone my age to do as a “first.”  Thank you, Calvin, Christine and Susan.  I have learned much more from you all than curriculum.
In looking at this experience in that way, I’ve also gained some affirmation, courage and hope in my ability to succeed at the goal I set out for myself when I returned to school.  At the time, the plan was to give myself the chance to get there, not necessarily attaining it.  Now, I have more of a belief that I can succeed.  So much so, that I have made some choices that will take me closer to that and allow me to work towards those career choices.  Carl, bless his boxers, supports me in this as he supported me in my plan to return to school and in trundling off overseas.  I may just keep him around for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Let me know.