Monday 23 July 2012

Back in the Land of the Living?

I've been back home for just over a week now and am gradually getting used to the time change.  Adjusting to U.K. time was considerably easier than the opposite.  Even so, I'm still like as not to need a sudden nap and will do so at the drop of a hat.  Makes it interesting at work.

As a result of my trip and my experiences in this last semester of school, I've made some decisions and some changes.  One relates to work and changes in earning potential.  I did some research on the potential for professional blogging.  It appears to be a viable idea, though as with everything else, will take some time to work up to decent $'s, if at all.  As a backup plan and one I came across while conducting my research, I decided to kill two birds with one stone.  There are a number of companies that require blog, article, review and similar writers.  By getting a job with one or two of these companies, I figured I could hone my writing skills, improve my own blog writing and earn some money in my newly chosen career choice.

I applied for a couple of these slots; the one is no longer taking this approach or so they say.  It could have been just a polite reject.  The other, however, asked for a sample of my writing after reading my blog then followed up with a request for a couple of very quick corrections.  No sub-heading on the intro or conclusion and to remove the title quotes from the body of the piece and re-submit.  I think, from the correspondence, that I have a new job, but not entirely sure at this point.  I'll have to wait for confirmation.

One of my goals upon my return was to start writing my childrens' books and have started that.  If I can turn out a decent product, the potential for publishing seems to be pretty good from the research I've done on that subject.

There are a couple more plans in the background.  I can't do anything about them yet, but I plan on applying to become a peer tutor and also to look into writing for The Other Press.  That's the Douglas College newspaper.

So, all in all, I am putting my money where my mouth is.  I've done a lot of yapping about the changes returning to school has brought about and the impact this trip has had on me.  Talking about it is one thing, now it's time to act on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Let me know.